You guys. At this point in our relationship you must know I am thee worst “blogger”. It’s funny actually when people call me a blogger. I am not a blogger. A blogger posts a couple times a week, if not daily. I, however, like to wait years to post about an event I did. You know, to keep the suspense. Did it work? Anyways, I am not a blogger. I am a visual artist, and a product stylist who has a website that has a blog section that SOMETIMES I’ll update so you can see more of my work. So, here you have it- a fun installation and design for The Cream Event with some lovely company. Check it out if you want.
How pretty are these florals by Catalina Neal? The best at The Cream that year.
Hat’s off to Twinkle and Toast for this gorgeous sitting chart all on top pieces of fabric!
Art Installation & Styling: The Shift Creative
Floral Design: Catalina Neal
Calligraphy: Twinkle and Toast
Tabletop Rentals: Borrowed Blu … Read More
We have decided to showcase some of our favorite brands just in time for Christmas! Some you might be familiar with and some might just be your new fav! Keep Scrollin’ for the gift guide deets!
- Krochet Kids is a non-profit that makes so many awesome products (for both men and women), but they are definitely known for their classic beanie! They have empowered people in Uganda and Peru by teaching them the craft of crocheting in order to provide for their families! Your purchase gives back, and I love that!
- Made by Mary is known for the simplicity in her jewelry and the custom personalization feature! Such a great gift for moms in particular! I am all about her minimal jewelry, and own quite a few pieces myself! I’d say this one is a no-brainer.
- Juniper Baby and Kids is a brand I fell in love with when I worked as a stylist for their Fall/Winter Campaign. The quality is top notch, the design is timeless and chic, and honestly I just wish they came in my size!
- Pink Light is a skincare company that I had the pleasure of working with. I mean… if you don’t want to buy it for the packaging itself let me tell you that the scents that come from each concoction are amazing, and I have heard great reviews on this Rose Petal Enzyme Masque! Such a great stocking stuffer!
- Tubby Todd!! I use Tubby Todd bath products for my kids and I absolutely LOVE it! They smell SO good and they are 100% natural! They have a mamma bundle which makes you feel so refreshed (especially for the new mammas in your life) and a basics baby bundle so you can try an assortment of their products!
- Letter Love Goods letter board is honestly the perfect gift for anyone. I have wanted one for so long, and if I don’t get one for Christmas I am buying myself one! You could even put a cute little phrase on it before gifting it like, “Marry me?” Eh, eh? Okay, maybe not. BUT I think this gift is a winner and I already have a ton of witty quotes I would want to put on mine!
- Amborella Organics is a seed bearing lollipop that is all the rage right now! 1. They are super pretty. 2. After you eat them you can plant the stick and it will turn into the corresponding flower or herb!!!! Yes, a lollipop that ultimately turns into a flower! 3. They come in so many tasty flavors like Sage +Marshmallow, Rosemary + Mint, and Peach + Marigold to name a few! 4. These will definitely make a fun stocking stuffer!
- Mitchell Canyon Coffee is a speciality coffee company that you can order online, have at your event, or even at your cafe! Quality coffee is always a must have, and lets be honest we all need it at those holiday family dinners. This makes such a good host/hostess gift, or for the coffee connoisseur in your life! I am gifting one to my husband for sure!
- Rylee & Cru is a favorite of mine for many reasons: 1. I adore the owner who is also a super talented illustrator. 2. The fabric is so soft which is great for the littles. 3. The designs are unique, and the color palette is always on point. We have a tradition where every Christmas Eve we give new pajamas to the kid’s and this year is no different (they have the sweetest PJ’s!).
- Word. Notebooks is a great gift for a variety of people: the artist, the note taker, the journaler, etc… Every year I tell myself I will be more organized and start journaling again- maybe 2018 will be that year for me!
- 31 BITS is one of my favorite lines! They have thee cutest jewelry not only for women, but for kids too! Plus, have you seen their new home line?? It’s so cute packed with so many gift options! Another perk of shopping BITS line? They empower artisans around the world by providing job opportunities! WIN-WIN.
- Piper Finn is yet another company where I wish their goods came in my size! I recently stumbled across this company and fell in love with their cute shoes designs, AND affordable price! So many times I regret spending the money on shoes that my daughter barely wears, or aren’t nearly as comfortable! These are both stylish and comfortable!
I hope I was able to introduce you to some awesome brands I love and help you with getting gifts for your friends and family this Christmas season! The best part about this list is that you can order all of these online! No crazy mall traffic! You. Are. Welcome.
x … Read More
Keeping in the spirit of our previous Christmas posts, we wanted to share some of our DIY Christmas ornaments! We’ve created two types- one for the bohemian and one for the minimalist, and we can’t choose what one we love more! Keep reading for photos and full instructions!
DIY Mud Cloth Ornaments
In our previous post we shared our DIY Mud Cloth Gift Boxes. You can easily make these Mud Cloth Ornaments at the same time!
Matte Ornaments in solid colors
Black and White sharpee paint pens
1. Find inspiration for your mud cloth patterns.
2. Draw out your patterns on scratch paper.
3. Copy your finalized patterns over onto the ornaments using the sharpee.
4. Add yarn to your ornaments and hang on your tree!
Keep scrolling for more inspiration!
DIY Wood Ornaments
These ornaments require just a tad more work, but boy do we love how they turned out.
Wooden balls (we used 1.5″ but think it would be fun for you to mix up sizes)
Gold Liquid Leaf
Black and white acrylic or wood paint
Screw Eye Hooks
1. Start by putting the eye hooks into the wooden balls. It can be a bit tricky to get the the hooks screwed into the wood. We first used a hammer to get the screws started before turning the screws. We promise this is the hardest part — it’s all easy from here!
2. Use yarn to hang the individual ornaments between two surfaces. This will allow you to paint freely on all sides without smudging the paint.
3. Get creative! Use the painters tape to section off areas you want to paint. This will create a clean cut line. Mix up your angles and colors! Just don’t forget to let your layers dry before adding more tape and paint.
4. Use the paint pens for more intricate details and patterns.
We love how these ornament’s look and hope you do to. Feel free to share with us you finished product by tagging @theshiftcreative on Instagram!
Okay you guys, Christmas is upon us and we were messing around with ways to add a touch of personal love to our Christmas gifts this year. We just had to share what we came up with. We made both Watercolor Tags and Mud Cloth gift boxes!
Let’s start with the Watercolor tags. Why buy cheesy Christmas present tags when you can make yourselves something cute and quirky?! They’re also seriously the easiest to make.
White pre cut tags or card stock paper to cut yourself
Paintbrush (We used the Pentel Arts Aquash Water Brush)
Keep scrolling for instructions!
1. Before you start painting, come up with some fun quirky sayings or designs you want on your tags. Practice with your paints on scratch paper. Have fun doodling!
2. Once you have your designs nailed down, paint them on your tags.
3. When your tags are dry, hole punch them and use fun yarn to adhere them to your package.
4. We are obsessed with pom poms and tassels. Add these or small ornaments to your presents for an extra pop!
If you’re as into mud cloth patterns as we are, then these DIY gift boxes are a must.
Mud Cloth Gift Boxes
Cardboard or Paper Mache boxes
Sharpee paint pens in black or white
1.Pick a mud cloth pattern for inspiration
2.Draw the mud cloth pattern with your paint pens onto the boxes
3.Embellish your boxes with your handmade water color tags!
The combination of the boxes and gift tags make for the sweetest eye catching gifts. They make us smile and we bet they’ll make the person you give them to smile too!
We want to see what you come up with so have fun, get creative and share some pics with us!
When we think the holiday season most of us think about gathering around a table filled with home cooked food shared with loved ones. There might be a fire burning, the smell of cookies coming from the oven, and the glimmer of Christmas right around the corner. Yet for myself and many others, this season is a time of transition. We recently sold our home to completely renovate a new-to-us house all with a 4-year-old and a newborn! This means we are living out of boxes and residing in a friend’s back house until it’s finished. Here’s the thing—I am a huge fan of the holidays and traditions so I knew I had to do something to make them special, even though our house is just plywood and cement and chaos. So we did just that: I called up some of my favorite vendors to show how you can make the best of any season you may find yourself in!
How cute are these mini cakes from Sweet and Saucy?
Safe to say this is the prettiest Fall mantle out there thanks to Of The Flowers.
We teamed up with Felisa to create these macrame floral wreaths and we loved how they turned out! These can definitely be incorporated for any holiday and easy to whip out if you are in a time crunch!
We created a mauve plaster tabletop that sat perfectly on top Rad Weld Customs table base. This was a fun way to bring texture to the table, but still kept with the rawness of the demo that was going on in the house. We opted to keep the palette rather “dusty” with blues and mauves, and then added in a fun pop of mustard. Of the Flowers had these great vases that she filled with a variety of blooms down the table. We added touches of fruit like pears, cranberry seed, blackberries, and apples for an organic and playful vibe.
Since the holidays can get crazy, and tensions high we created fun conversation starters to help break the ice, ignite laughter, and get a little deeper at the table.
It’s all so pretty and it was all set right in the middle of a construction zone! See, there really is beauty in transitions and change, sometimes it just takes a different perspective. … Read More
We’ve all been there- crazy Aunt Karen greets you with a wet kiss and asks you if you are seeing anyone while showing you “potential” mates on her phone, Mom is running around trying to make everything perfect, Dad offers to get take-out and gets a dirty look, and your sister is bringing her new boyfriend that no one is quite sure about. The holidays can be crazy, so we have created some tips to help make them go smoother, more enjoyable, and (fingers crossed) less awkward.
1.Get the tunes on:
Music has a way of setting the tone in an almost magical way. Simply turning on a playlist or putting on a record can alleviate weird vibes or tension, and create a sense of ease. If anything, it will definitely help fill any awkward silence.
We found a few of our favorite Spotify playlists for you:
Turkey to Table: A Thanksgiving Playlist
Chip’s Thanksgiving Dinner Playlist
2. Conversation Starters:
A great way to break the ice is to have fun conversation starters. Whether you’ve known the people at your table for one day or your whole life, learning new things about each other unifies us!
We have created some printables for you to snag for your holiday party! Throughout the meal, take turns asking your question, and have everyone go around the table to answer! It’s bound to bring a lot of smiles, and who knows you might be surprised at what you learn!
Click here to download our printables!
3. Bring a hostess gift:
We can all agree that hosting a party is a lot of work. If you are attending a party versus hosting one yourself, bringing a gift for your host is a thoughtful and kind way to say “thank you, I’m glad to be here”. This is especially true when you don’t know your host that well. This little tip will hands down earn you major brownie points with whomever you are trying to impress.
4. Make Place Cards:
One way to eliminate any awkwardness at the table is to have well thought out place cards. This eliminates people feeling unsure of where to put themselves in a room full of people. Put thought and intentionality behind where you place people. If you know there is someone who won’t know many people, place them by a friendly outgoing person! Another tip is to have the names on both sides of the place card. Doing that will help everyone around the table get everyones names right!
5. Lend a Hand:
Getting involved with a holiday party by helping out is a great way to get to know your host, and other people at the party. Some simple and practical ways to serve are: offering to bring a food item, helping prep in the kitchen, or doing the dishes after the meal (extra tip: don’t ask if you can because most hosts will object- just do it!).
We hope these tips will help you this holiday season!We would love to see how you style your Thanksgiving table with our conversation starters! Tag us on Instagram so we can see!
x … Read More
It is always such a pleasure to design for The Yellow Conference! This is my second year filling their space with thought out details and interactive installations, and I can’t say enough good things about the conference and the owner’s vision for it. Their goal is to create community- particularly among females- and to empower others through our work, hobbies, and life! Of course, there is much more to it than that and often times not as simple to do! The conference helps its attendees connect, relate, and learn how to navigate life in whatever season you may find yourself in. This year we focused on three words: Wander, Tension, and Resolve. These words represent where each of us have been in life, or may be currently. To bring these words to life, we created an interactive installation station where the attendees could take a journey through each season and connect with it not only visually, but through audio as well! Keep reading to hear more about those installations and see more of the overall design!
Chandeliers of all chandeliers? I think so! This pretty thing hung above all the attendees. Nestled inside are numerous wooden chandeliers! This was definitely a fan favorite and currently resides at the Hudson Loft in LA.
Modern stage design for the win! The owner, Joanna, wanted something that was “line inspired” that represented people and the different journeys they are on. Many times our paths cross, sometimes our paths are rough, and other times they have a particular direction and speed.
This is the beginning of the interactive installation. Each attendee was directed to put on earphones as they were guided through a “journey”. Let’s start.
Hey you. Prepare yourself for this journey. It is all to familiar. You’ve been here before. Clear your mind. Enjoy this time to reflect on where you are in your journey.
I..I.. can’t seem to find my place. I feel like I am standing still, yet I am all over the place. On the outside it seems like I am calm, upbeat, happy even. On the inside I feel suffocated by my desire to succeed, to be something, to be good at something, to be proud of something… something… I can’t keep up. I see these perfect little squares as I’m scrolling through my feed. They seem to have it all figured out. Then it hits me- they are just like me. Maybe they are a little further along. Maybe they know their purpose. Or maybe, maybe they feel lost. Just. Like. Me. We’ve all been here. Wandering. Figuring life out. But sometimes wandering is a beautiful thing. Free of commitments and restraints. Free to figure ourselves out. Hey, you. Yes, you. Wandering doesn’t mean you are failing- remember that.
Cheeseburger or Salad. Salad… No, Cheeseburger. Ugh. I can’t even make up my own mind when it comes to food. I feel heavy. Maybe the burger wasn’t such a good idea. No, I feel heaavvyyy, and torn, and confused. I feel the weight of my decisions and the potential consequences of them. Should I turn to the left or to the right? Should I take this job or that one? Should I date this person? Should I end this relationship? Should I take this business risk? Well, should I? What if everyone hates my ideas? What if the job doesn’t work out? What if I make a fool out of myself? What if he’s not interested? What if I went with that decision instead of this one? What if I had just kept quiet? What if I said what was on my mind? What if?
I have come to learn that “what if’s?” are a fool’s question. Yes, carefully consider your options, but when you decide don’t turn back to “what if’s?” They can hold you hostage.
I am here. Right now. I am determined to achieve my goals. To connect with others. To serve. To love. To be kind. To give. To have empathy. To relate. No, not to climb over others to get there. Not to gossip. No, not to succeed in terms of monetary gains, or plaques or articles with my name. But in growth and wisdom. In sincerity. In an approach that might look different to the world. The one that looks out for others.That boasts about others. That thinks about others. From right here, you can only go up.
Please take this time to reflect on where you are at. Sit by yourself. Meet a new friend. Pray. Be quiet. Whatever you do, be content at whichever stage you find yourself.
That was the full audio write up!
If you haven’t had a chance to go to the conference I would encourage you to go! It’s such a great time and you will leave with a new friend and a fresh perspective!
Photography + Design: The Shift Creative … Read More
I am so excited to announce that my husband and I not only are in the process of renovating our “new to us” home, but we thought it would be fun to include YOU in the process with a YouTube series! We start at the beginning when we first get our keys, to our vision, demo, frustrations, changed plans, and ultimately the final design! For those of you that follow me already on Instagram, you know we are busy people. We have a 4 year old Sophia, and a 4 month old Sullivan and life doesn’t stop just cause you are renovating! We include it all! So hey, if you think this is something you might like, gain inspiration from, or just point and laugh at what we have gotten ourselves into, then SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel “The Andra Dwelling” where we will be posting weekly episodes! Maybe it’ll have you saying “Fixer Upper who?”
… Read More
I am excited to finally share my babe Sullivan’s nursery today over on 100 Layer Cakelet! It was so much fun to design. I went back and forth on what vibe I wanted, but I knew I wanted to incorporate black. I have really been into black lately. I centered everything around the rug I got from my girl, Flea Market Fab! It is my favorite! Scroll through for more pictures (shot by Kayla Adams)+ details!
Artifact Uprising‘s new photo baby book is so awesome! Get 10% off using code AUstoryxTSC.
One of my favorite parts of Sully’s room is this wood shelf!
The SOFTEST blanket ever is this Moroccan fringe blanket by Little Giraffe! Get 20% their entire site by using code SHIFTCREATIVE. Seriously, I love this blanket and it comes in charcoal too!
Photography: Kayla Adams
Pillows: Boho Pillow
Moroccan Rug: Flea Market Fab
Stripped rug: Urban Outfitters
Chair: World Market
Moroccan Fringe Blanket: Little Giraffe
Black Mudcloth Blanket: Shop Skout
Indigo Stripped Planter: Local + Lejos, Pop-up Greens … Read More